Today’s question is about using the Phantom 4 RTK for drone mapping. Compared to the Phantom 4 Pro, is the Phantom 4 RTK a better option for drone mapping?
Our caller, Chris from North Carolina has a question about using the Phantom 4 RTK in drone mapping. We have always maintained that the Phantom 4 Pro is the “Honda Civic of Drones”. You can use the Phantom 4 Pro across a gamut of applications ranging from photography to drone mapping. Now, is the Phantom 4 RTK more accurate compared to the Phantom 4 Pro when it comes to drone mapping? Is it worth spending thousands of dollars more to buy the Phantom 4 RTK?
To answer, Chri’s question we first explain the basic of Real Time Kinematics or RTK. Next, we explain the different variables that affect drone mapping accuracy when using RTK drones. Considering these variables, in which situations will the use of Phantom 4 RTK result in a more efficient workflow and a more accurate output? Other topics discussed on today’s show include the importance of using natural markers, difference between relative accuracy and absolute accuracy, the pros and cons of using different RTK drones, the use of natural markers in drone mapping, and much, much more…
We hope you enjoy this show. Fly Safe!
Recently crashed your drone? Unable to find trained technicians who can repair your drone quickly and at a reasonable rate? Don’t fret. The cool folks at Fortress UAV can help you get your drone back up in the air in as little as 7 days! Use Promo Code “DroneU” to get 25% off. Drone U Members get an extra 5% off on total repair costs. Check them out now!
Get Your Biggest and Most Common Drone Certificate Questions Answered by Downloading this FREE Part 107 PDF
Make sure to get yourself the all-new Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is to subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us real quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Access to over 30 courses, great resources, and our incredible community.
- [02:40] How to measure accuracy in drone mapping
- [07:45] Today’s question is about using the Phantom 4 RTK for drone mapping
- [08:34] How your application determines the choice of your drone equipment
- [09:05] In which situations should you use the Phantom 4 RTK for drone mapping?
- [09:19] Paul explains why you can make accurate RTK corrections in a state like Florida
- [10:08] Paul explains RTK in simple terms
- [10:43] In which situations is the workflow for RTK drones simpler?
- [11:38] “]What are some variables that affect your mapping accuracy when using RTK drones?
- [12:50] What is the difference between relative accuracy and absolute accuracy?
- [13:29] So, can you get more accuracy by flying the P4P RTK?
- [14:03] “]What is ground sampling distance (GSD)? Which are the three factors that affect your GSD?
- [17:46] Should you use the P4P RTK if you are surveying large tracts of land?
- [19:40] Do you always need GCP’s for 3D modeling?
- [24:00] Is it a good idea to refer natural markers when creating a drone map or model?
- [25:19] Is it a good idea to use the M600 RTK for drone mapping?